Barkly-West in the Dikgatlong Municipality, is located 35km west of Kimberley. The town was a mission village until the diamond rush saw thousands of prospectors flocking to the town in 1870. In fact, this is where the first diamond in the country was discovered in 1869. The town was initially known as Klipdrift, which is Dutch for "stony ford" or "stony place on a river", before being named Barkly-West.
Other towns in the region are Delportshoop, Longlands, Kutlwano, Windsorton, Ulco ans Sydney on Vaal.